Wednesday, December 7, 2011

One Last Christmas.....

I know I complain a lot about some of Home.FM's Christmas song choices..  They will hit you with some classics from Brenda Lee, Perry Como, and Bing Crosby.  Then, they'll throw a song at you that makes you want to jerk the steering wheel toward the nearest tree.  They'll play something like Christmas Shoes or Dear, Mr. Jesus, or a new one for me this year..  One Last Christmas...   The first time I heard this song was the first day I decided to give up and finally turn the Christmas music on for the season..  I immediately was angry, but as I listened to the song I found myself not being able to turn to a different station...  And by the end of the song I'm driving with tears in my eyes and wanting to drive off a bridge.  But only because I don't do well with sad things which is why I don't watch sad movies..  People who watch sad movies intentionally knowing they're going to cry are emotional masochists :)
Now, I listened to the song once and vowed to never let it play again.  Let me give you the background of the song.  It's about a little boy who's dying and his family finds out that he most likely won't make it to Christmas.  So around September his family decorates the house and yard for Christmas.. The town they live in, catching wind of this follows suit and soon the whole town is decorated for this little boy.  That alone is truly gutting.  If you're a parent, you can't even imagine the pain and suffering that would come from losing a child, let alone a small child.  And I know some of you out there have and how you have managed to function beyond that day is truly amazing and that God does take care of us.  I would need to lean on Him a lot if that were me..   I once had a cousin who lost 3 children in a housefire.  They were 13, 11 and 4 I believe.  It was the summer of 1988.
They were staying with their grandparents and a fire broke out during the night.  Everyone made it out ok they thought at first.  But they noticed the 4 year old wasn't with them.  So the 13 and 11 yr old along with the grandpa went back in to get him.  The three kids never made it back out.  The grandpa was pulled out later and died a short time after.   But could you imagine??  Could you imagine the searing pain and sense of emptiness and loss you would feel upon receiving that news?  I don't know how I could possibly go on.  I know that is were God would come in and carry you and bring you peace.  But, I don't know if I could let Him honestly.  And I never want to find out...    Just like that you go from have a family of 5 to a family of 2... You have to say goodbye to your children...  And then find it in you somewhere to pick up and move on??  How??

I can honestly say as a parent that I can speak on behalf of all parents everywhere when I say that I would give my life for my children without hesitation.  If the time and place called for it I would willingly lay my life down so that theirs could go on.  It's just what you do..  I love my kids more than anything and just the thought of losing them brings me to tears and creates this hurt in my chest like someone hit me with a sledgehammer and that's just trying to imagine it ever happening.  The real thing has to be 500 times worse..

Back to my story...  So I vowed to never let that song play.  But it haunted me..  I found myself singing verses of it and hating myself for it.  To the point that last night I sat down here at the computer and researched the song.  I found out who it was about and the details of his life.   And I'll share it with you now.
Here is a brief summary:


Dax Ryan Locke was born to Austin and Julie Locke on June 26th, 2007. At the age of 13 months Dax was diagnosed with AML M7 Leukemia. He was life-flighted to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital where he underwent two bone marrow transplants. Both of his parents were able to give their bone marrow to him. Since his disease was so rare Dax's treatments were not certain. Dax lost his battle with cancer at the age of 2. The doctors told us they didn't think he would live till Christmas. Dax passed away on December 30th 2009. During his short life Dax touched many hearts. The town of Washington, Illinois put up their Christmas lights early for Dax and many other people around the world joined in
In reading about Dax, I learned that only 15 cases of AML M7 Luekemia are diagnosed each year.  Making a very rare form of Luekemia.  But in watching videos of Dax and reading his story. You would've never known he was sick..   He was truly an amazing little boy who touched the life of millions.   For those of you who may not have heard the song "One Last Christmas" before, here is a link for you to check it out.  And I suggest you watch this one as it's the actual video for the song and has a lot of info on Dax in it and footage of him.


One Last Christmas Video



I couldn't imagine....  I watched this last night and came away a complete mess.   I went upstairs and into the room of my 2 yr old twins and covered them up and just stood there and watched them sleeping and couldn't imagine going through that with them.   I mean, did Dax know he was sick?  Did he know he was dying?  Is it something we as adults make harder on ourselves because we over think it?   I don't know...
There was also a video of some of his funeral that I watched as well and listened to the songs being played and marveled at how the response to Dax was so huge that they had to turn people away and broadcast it via the internet for those around the world that he touched.  His little white casket with colorful handprints all over looked so bright and happy in a place and situation that was anything but..  He lay there in a blue shirt, his little hands folded on top of each other and people by the hundreds came by, touching him, touching the casket, it looked as if some slipped notes or something into the casket.  It was so horrible and so touching at the same time.  I watched not out of sick fascination but because in the hour or so I read on Dax and his story I became attached and emotionally invested in the story and wanted to learn and see as much about him as I could.   Maybe that's my parental way of seeing things from start to finish,  my way of gaining some insight and closure to this song and making it make sense.  I don't know...    I don't usually have stories grab me like this and not let go.

He was a special little boy.   And makes me realize how lucky I am with my three boys.  It makes me look at them in an entirely different way.  In honor of Dax they have started his own foundation to help raise money for St. Jude and the the families of St. Jude. It's named, "Cherish Every Moment-The Dax Locke Foundation". So far Dax has raised almost a quarter of million dollars!  There is a page where you can buy Christmas tree ornaments, wrist bands, t shirts, and key chains with Dax's name on them and the phrase "Cherish Every Moment".


Hug your kids,  hug them every chance you get..  I hope this wasn't too depressing but I felt compelled to share Dax's story here and maybe by sharing it with everyone make it make a little more sense to me.

Until next time...  Be well and hug your kids,

Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment