Friday, December 2, 2011

Everyday I'm Shufflin'.....

Hey all!
Sorry for the delay between last blog and now...  But sometimes life gets in the way.   Hope everyone is well and that you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving!!!   Mine was spent with my mom's side of the family at my parents house.  It was good to see everyone and there was  ALOT of eating done that day...  I hurt myself pretty good..

Also that day was the 2nd birthday of our twins Josh an Jonah..   I still have those "holy crap" moments where for whatever reason I've forgotten the fact I have twins and then I remember it..  And for that brief moment there's that feeling like your world is slightly off centered and you quickly come back to reality and realize that yes, you do in fact have identical twin boys...   And they're little tanks too...  I was a skinny little kid in my opinion I didn't really fill out until probably between my freshman and sophomore year in High School.  In 9th grade I was 5'5" by the time I graduated I was 6'0" and about 215lbs.  Caleb is built like his mom, he's tall and very thin.  The boys on the other hand.  They're tall, and they're solid.  Caleb just recently broke the 50lb barrier.. The boys easily have to weigh 30lbs or better already.  I have a feeling they're going to be built like me.  They fear nothing, and that scares me to no end.  They will not think twice to climb something, jump off something, or jump from one thing to another.

But let me share with you the story of how we found out we were having twins...
I can't remember at exactly what point we were in the pregnancy but it was somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 way.  Jill was having some problems and decided we should go to the hospital to make sure everything was ok.  So we get there.  They check her out and the Dr. orders an ultra sound to make sure the baby is ok.  I say baby because at this point we thought we were only having one.  Well, I thought we were only having one.. She apparently had a feeling there might be more than one.   So, we get into the room, the lady puts the goop on her belly and starts the ultra sound.   I'm standing next to Jill watching the screen and I see what I thought was two round objects.  But not being a doctor or anything I pass it off as just the baby's head.   The lady doing the ultra sound says " So, this is your first ultra sound?"  We say yes.  Then she goes "And you're aware already you're having twins?"   Whoa whoa whoa whoa....  Back up the trolley Mr.Rogers...  NO ONE said ANYTHING about twins...   I immediately just go "what?" And that's where I was finished for the night.  From that point I turned into Raymond from Rain Man..   "Yeah, only supposed to be one baby.. Definitely definitely just one baby..."     I have never had a physical reaction to news before until this night...  I've heard of people passing out at news received but that night I came sooo close.  I got very dizzy and lightheaded, I couldn't speak well, I was at a complete loss.  And I had to sit down...  I just remember saying over and over.  "But there's supposed to be just one, not two, just one, how can there be two when there is only supposed to be one?"   And I couldn't get my mind to wrap around the fact that there were two babies in there...  Then we found out they were boys.  It took me I would say a good 5 minutes or so before I really got my bearings back.  Then I immediately sent a text to my cousin Dan who was working at that hospital and had him come down to share the news and so we could have a witness because we knew no one would believe us.  So he came down and he saw the pictures and after sharing congrats went back to work.  We were sent back to our room.  Where we decided then and there it would be fun to call people and tell them what we ourselves had just found out.  We called my grandparents, my grams laughed and offered us congrats, my gramps just laughed at me as only he would.  Then we call my parents and my mom wouldn't believe me..   She finally put my dad on the phone and I told him and he just started laughing and going "oh man".  Come to find out a few days later my mom still didn't believe me and my cousin had to explain to her that he was there and it was in fact true.

And here we are 2 years later...  The first 6-8 months I couldn't tell them apart..  I felt like the world's worst parent.  But as they grew I could see subtle differences and now they have their own little personalities and quirks.  Financially it's a strain as you can imagine.  With a baby it's one thing, but then by double everything..  But I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world..  Well, maybe to become the starting 3rd baseman for the Tigers...  Nah...  They're so much fun, they're so frustrating, they make me angry, they make me laugh, sometimes within moments of each other leaving me feeling like some bi-polar bear who needs a padded room.  So, Happy 2nd Birthday Josh and Jonah!!  Daddy loves you both very much!!!


While we're on the topic of birthdays I too celebrated a birthday.  6 days after the twins turned 2, I turned....... 25.    What?  You don't think I could pass as 25???  Yeah, me neither...  34...  I turned 34 on November 30th..  You can still send presents/money if you feel it in your hearts to do so :-)    I've had a few people ask if I feel older?  I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean but I answer no.  I know that 34 is generally the age in which you start wearing depends, start yelling at kids to keep off your lawn, and watch Lawrence Welk and head for bed by 7:30pm.   But anyone who knows me knows that I have never and will never act my age.  Whether that is a good or bad thing you'll have to ask Jill.  I like having fun too much.  I don't like being serious.  No use in taking life so seriously, no one gets out of it alive anyway right?  Yes, I can be serious when the time and place requires it.  But aside from that, I would rather make people laugh, I would rather make myself laugh, and I would like to just have a good time.  Whether it's wrestling around with the kids, getting down on the floor with them, chasing them through the house, making faces/noises with them, just being fun.  Or something as simple as sitting and watching tv and just doing a running commentary to make her laugh.  I dunno, I just don't see a point in being grumpy as you get older.  You're only as old as you feel.  I still play ball..  Yes, I do feel it a bit more now the next day.  But it's not going to stop me.   The late great Satchel Paige once said Age is a question of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.  That is a perfect quote to describe how I feel about my age.  I may be 34.  My body from all the wear and tear may be older.  But my mind is still about 19-20 and that's how I feel.

Anyway, just a quick rundown of what I've been up to lately.  I have some topics I'll be blogging on here in the next few days so stay tuned!!    Until then, be well!


Rob




1 comment:

  1. Nicely written. I remember when the twins were born. It's only taken about 2 years for me to get a high five from one of them. Maybe in two more years they will have hello.

    ReplyDelete